Are you feeling overwhelmed by the clutter in your home? If so, you’re not alone. Clutter can be more than just an eyesore. It can actually make you feel stressed and overwhelmed, leading to decreased productivity and even health problems. If you’re looking for ways to declutter your home, check out these 10 tips!
1. Purge your home of unnecessary items – Start by going through your home room by room and getting rid of anything you no longer need or use. This can be a difficult task, but it’s important to be honest with yourself about what you really need and don’t need.
2. Store food in sealed jars – One way to gain additional cupboard and counter space in your kitchen is by storing certain foods in sealed jars instead of leaving them in the bags and boxes that they come packaged in. This will allow you to keep your kitchen more organized. Foods to consider storing in jars include pasta, rice, oats, cookies etc.
3. Create a donation pile for things you no longer want or need – If you have items that are in good condition but you no longer want or need them, consider donating them to a local charity. This is a great way to declutter your home and help others in the process.
4. Set aside a space for things you want to sell – If you have items that are still in good condition and are valuable but you no longer want or need them, consider selling them. This is a great way to declutter your home and make some extra money in the process.
5. Pack away seasonal items to free up storage space – If you have seasonal items that you only use a few times a year, consider packing them away until you need them. This will declutter your home and give you more storage space.
6. Organize the remaining items in your home – Once you’ve decluttered your home, it’s important to organize the remaining items. This will help you keep your home decluttered and make it easier to find things when you need them.
7. Find creative ways to store unused items – If you have items that you don’t use often but can’t bear to get rid of, find creative ways to store them. This will declutter your home and give you peace of mind knowing that your belongings are safe. If you have a garage, maybe you can add shelving to provide additional storage space, if you have room in your yard, building a shed can be a good option as well. Alternatively, you can rent storage unit.
8. Make a plan to keep your home decluttered in the future – Once you’ve decluttered your home, it’s important to make a plan to keep it that way. This may require you to change your habits or the way you organize your belongings. But, if you make a plan and stick to it, you can keep your home decluttered for good.
9. Get help from friends, family members or a service if needed – If you’re struggling to declutter your home on your own, ask for help from friends and family members. They can offer support and advice on how to declutter your home. If you don’t have any friends or family that may be helpful with this subject, you may want to consider hiring a decluttering service to help you organize your home.
10. Celebrate your accomplishments – Once you’ve decluttered your home, take a moment to celebrate your accomplishment! This is a big task and it’s important to congratulate yourself on a job well done.
Decluttering your home will not only provide you and your family with a healthier living space it will also make certain daily household chores such as cleaning easier. For all you parents out there, as a parent myself of two little ones, I understand how hard it can be to keep things organized. You may not be able to keep your home in a picture perfect state on a daily basis but decluttering will provide you with additional space to store certain items such as toys out of the way so you no longer need to worry about stepping on them.
Hopefully the above tips have been helpful to you and have given you some ideas as to how you can declutter your home.
Are you thinking of making a move or have questions about the current Toronto real estate market? Contact me any time with your questions, I’m always happy to help.